Friday, November 2, 2007

Mama's Boy

These are not original thoughts (but how many of them are?)... They just touch a bit on a phenomenon that I've observed and that Rob mentioned recently after reading an article by an offended SAHD (i.e., stay-at-home dad): "parenting" magazine are for mommies.

At the library, I'm responsible for getting all of our periodicals in the catalog, by hook or by crook. I've often glanced at the taglines for two of the mags that we receive and found them a bit strange, so when I came across them today, I thought I'd share.

  • Parenting: "What Matters to Moms."
  • American Baby: "Mom to Mom, Woman to Woman."
Yup. Apparently, daddies are irrevelant in the lives of their offspring, particularly in the world of periodically published morsels of advice encased in reams of advertisements.

I mean, neither of these magazines is gender-specific; we'll both be parents of an American baby. (The insinuation that the needs of American babies differ greatly from non-American, communist/terrorist/anarchist/Canadian babies is another issue entirely.) I can understand if Working Mother is skewed to women, but that's kinda implied by the title alone.

Anyhow, we found this a bit irksome, as Rob most likely will be a SAHD, whether working from home part-time or not working outside the home at all. And we assume that, regardless of the working situation for us both, we'll both need to know how to effectively parent our baby, American or otherwise. So ends (for now) my bitching, with the acknowledgement that others have bitched about this (much more effectively and in-depth) before me.

(Don't get me wrong: I still love magazines and all of their advertisements, whether fashion or homemaking or cooking or otherwise. What I really hate, however, is the obnoxiousness of Blogger: I'm having huge issues formatting my posts to my liking. Can you see how some lines are well-spaced and others are not? [I've forgotten what that's called.] And don't get me started on the adding of photos. Why, WHY??? GAAAHHH! Thirteen mere days blogging, and I'm a critic.)

No comments: