2. What is appreciation for a brief day in the year on which we are encouraged--nay, obligated--to consider for what we are truly thankful, in the manner of a sitcom episode?
Here goes (please feel free to mentally make bulleted statements parallel; I haven't quite the energy.):
- a healthy baby (well, not at this particular moment, what with the ear infection and oozing nose and eyes and antibiotics...but, you get the big picture)
- a wonderful husband, who's a fantastic father, even if he can't (won't?) wash the diapers, do the non-stanky laundry, cook meals, bathe the baby, do the grocery shopping...but he does earn points for dealing so well with the whole vegetarian thing
- a loving family
- that Speck has healthy grandparents
- that Speck has a healthy great-grandfather!
- my own health (well, again, not at this particular moment, what with the horrendous colds that husband and I have gotten from baby and daycare, apparently)
- a good job that I enjoy
- affordable, reputable childcare, even if we aren't thrilled to need childcare
- sufficient health insurance
- a house, even if it isn't paid off quite yet (check back in a few decades)
- a reliable, fuel-efficient car that is paid off
- money enough for food, for utilities, for necessities, for some luxuries (eating out a mite too often, someone's unbreakable comic book habit, another someone's insistence that Baby only eat organic foods and be cleansed and anointed with only natural, expensive toiletries)
I suppose that's enough for this year. We hope for more, and not less, in the coming years...